- Implementers Guide to Workplace Travel Plans
A workplace travel plan is a package of measures aimed at supporting sustainable travel for work-related journeys. This document gives a step-by-step guide for the person implementing the Travel Plan, including case studies, sample surveys and lots of ideas for action Implementers Guide to Workplace Travel Plans. The Guide is broken into sections below.
- Sample Travel Plan Coordinator Job Description
If your organisation is appointing a person to be the face and Champion of your travel plan, this document will give you some insight into a sample Travel Plan Coordinator job description, including sample duties and responsibilities, and experience/ qualifications.
- Mapping Samples
Maps are useful tools to show walking/ cycling times, or to show information about your site. Smarter Travel Workplaces/ Smarter Travel Campus Partners have access to mapping resources, including Accessibilty Maps showing walking and cycling time bands (see UCD Walking Cycling Time) or maps showing anonymised home locations of employees by mode used. Other sample maps are below.
- Sample Action Plan
Your Action Plan should be based on your employee travel survey, your site audit and your organisational policy review. It will most likely contain both ‘hard’ (infrastructural) and ‘soft’ (behaviour changing/ promotional) measures. This Sample Action Plan will give you ideas by mode for your organisation.
- Key Survey Analysis Points
This appendix covers key results from your survey, and how to examine them in order to establish potential actions for your organisation.
- Sample Travel Survey Launch Text
This document contains some sample text which you can adapt for your site when launching your employee travel survey. Consider offering an incentive that appeals to all mode users for filling in your travel survey.
- Sample Staff Travel Survey
Your Sample Staff Travel Survey is an essential tool to find out your starting mode split, as well as potential actions to promote walking, cycling, public transport, carsharing and smarter working. You can edit this sample survey to suit your site. If your organisation does limited business travel, you may wish to omit this section.
- Smarter Working
The introduction of flexible working practices can facilitate employees to travel by means other than the car, or to work at home. This document give some ideas for organisations interested in Smarter Working
- Promoting Public Transport
Information on promoting public transport, including Tax Saver tickets and Real Time Passenger Information. Please note that since the publiciation of this document, you can now download Real Time and Journey Planner apps for iPhone and Android at www.transportforireland.ie
- Optimise Use of Car Parks
If there is pressure for parking in your site, promoting modes other than the single occupancy vehicle can have a positive effect. Some options to Optimise Use of Car Parks, including permit parking and other parking management measures are outlined in this document.
- Promoting Carsharing and More Efficient Use of Cars
In the majority of employers, carsharing is already happening on an informal basis. Nationally 4% of commuters were carsharing in 2011. Good carsharing schemes, in the right locations, can achieve carsharing rates of 10%. For ideas on your scheme, see Promoting Carsharing and More Efficient Use of Cars
- Promoting Cycling
Cycling is the one mode which is consistently increasing across our Partners over the past number of years. Employers have a key role in supporting this mode, with destination facilities and schemes such as Cycle to Work. Promoting Cycling
- Marketing Your Travel Plan
Most employers are already offering elements of a workplace travel plan. How you communicate with your employees and market your actions can have a significant impact on uptake of schemes or promotions. Marketing Your Travel Plan
- Sample Site Audit
The ultimate test of your organisations facilities is – would you use them? Are you happy with them? This Sample Site Audit highlights some potential areas for action to improve facilities to support more sustainable travel.
- Promoting Walking
All employees, visitors and suppliers are pedestrians on your site at some point. Promoting Walking will have a positive impact for all mode users.
- Sample Cycle Facilities Audit
This Sample Cycle Facilities Audit focuses on cycling facilities in particular. You may also be interested in evaluating other facilities in your site, see the Sample Site Audit in this section.
- European Cycle Challenge 2016 – Press Release
- Student Cycle Challenge 2015 – Press Release
- Workplace Cycle Challenge 2015 – Press Release
- Pedometer Challenge 2015 – Press Release
- Marchathon 2015 – Press Release
- Student Cycle Challenge 2014 – Press Release
- Marchathon 2014 – Press Release
- 10 Minute Cycle Challenge 2013 – Press Release
- Smarter Travel Workplaces Pedometer Challenge 2012
1 Billion 274 Million Steps for a Heart-Warming Cause (November 2012)
- National Transport Authority 10 Minute Cycle Challenge 2012
The Wheels on the Bikes go Round and Round! (July 2012)
- Smarter Travel Campus Christmas News – December 2016
- Smarter Travel Workplaces 2016 Summer Update
- Smarter Travel Campus Summer News 2016
- Christmas Ezine December 2015
- EZINE issued 22 September 2015 – Workplace Pedometer Challenge – Latest Leaderboard and Prizes to be won
- Smarter Travel Campus Student Walking Challenge – Marchathon 2015 – The Results
- Smarter Travel Campus News February 2015
- Student Cycle Challenge 2014 – Winners, Photos and News – 8th Dec 2014
- Smarter Travel Campus – Are You Ready to Go Back? 9th Sept 2014
- Pedometer Challenge 2014 – Ezine 1 – 8th Sept 2014
- Smarter Travel Awards – Are You and Your Workplace/ Campus Ready to be Recognised? 25th August 2014
- Smarter Travel Awards – Are You and Your Campus Ready to be Recognised? 25th August 2014
- Cycle Challenge 2014 – Wrap Up! 21st July 2014
- Cycle Challenge 2014 – Final Leaderboard
- Cycle Challenge 2014 Ezine 1 – 7th May 2014
- Smarter Travel Campus Marchathon Winners – 27th March 2014
- Smarter Travel Workplaces Newsletter – 20th March 2014
- Smarter Travel Workplaces Newsletter – 12th December 2013
- Pedometer Challenge 2013 – 11th Dec Newsletter
- Smarter Travel Campus Ezine – 20th Nov 2013
- Pedometer Challenge 2013 – 18th Oct Newsletter
- Pedometer Challenge 2013 – 10th Oct Newsletter
- Pedometer Challenge 2013 – 4th Oct Newsletter
- Pedometer Challenge 2013 – 2nd Oct Newsletter
- Pedometer Challenge 2013 – 26th Sept Newsletter
- Pedometer Challenge 2013 – 20th Sept Newsletter
- Pedometer Challenge 2013 – 13th Sept Newsletter
- Pedometer Challenge 2013 – Newsletter 11th Sept 2013
- Cycle Challenge 2013 Prizegiving – 16th August 2014
- Smarter Travel Workplaces July 2013 Newsletter
- Cycle Challenge 2013 – Mid Week 2 Leaderboard (24th June 2014)
- Cycle Challenge 2013 – Week 2 Leaderboard (20 June 2013)
- Cycle Challenge 2013 – Mid Week Leaderboard Week 1 (17th June 2013)
- Issue 5 April 2013
- Issue 4 December 2012
- Issue 3 May 2012
- Issue 2 March 2012
- Issue 1 January 2012