Employee Travel Survey
Your employee travel survey is actually a promotional initiative in itself – as publicising it is an opportunity to highlight the potential for change in your organisation. The survey should establish your baseline modal split, uptake of schemes currently available, interest in a variety of actions and opportunities for improvements.
The survey results give a mandate for change as organisations usually find there is quite a higher level of support for sustainable transport than anticipated. You may find that many of your employees are already travelling sustainably, or would walk/cycle/take public transport if some changes were made within your organisation.
From your survey you will find out:
- How many employees live within walking or cycling distance of your workplace
- Potential carpooling clusters/ opportunities
- Awareness of facilities or incentives already in place
- Opportunities to promote different modes
Low-cost Quick Wins
- Introduce the Cycle to Work scheme, where employees can buy tax, PRSI and levy-free bikes and related equipment, and employers can save up to 11.05% PRSI on every sale
- Introduce monthly and annual Tax Saver tickets for public transport (including private operators) – again employees get tickets tax, PRSI and levy-free and employers save on PRSI contributions
- Improve access and safety/visibility on your site for pedestrians, as everyone is a pedestrian at some point
- Ensure cycle parking is covered and secure and close to entrances – remember that 10 cyclists can park in the space used by one car, which more than justifies the cost involved in covering and securing cycle parking
- Provide a storage area or drying room for cyclists gear
- Consider carpooling for your organisation.
For more ideas on actions, please see the Implementers Guide to Workplace Travel PlansBack to top