Benefits of cycling
How Cycling Benefits Health
I know that exercise improves my health, but how exactly can I benefit from cycling?
Cycling is a wonderful physical activity that provides a huge array of benefits. Not only will you be able to improve your physical and mental health, you can also travel while doing so and engage in social activity. The list below details the health benefits associated with regular levels of cycling (remember, it’s not about the intensity but rather consistency of exercise to experience the health benefits):
- Improved aerobic capacity – as you cycle your lungs, heart and blood vessels are all working. Aerobic exercise also triggers the release of endorphins, improving your mood! Source: https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-top-5-benefits-of-cycling
- Improved muscular endurance and strength – your entire body will be working while you cycle – you will be utilising your arms and shoulders to hold and steer the bike, your core for central stability and your legs (hamstrings, quadriceps and calf muscles) to power the bike!
- Improved balance and coordination – as you cycle a bike you are working on your balance, coordination and also your posture.
- Improved mood – sometimes there is nothing more satisfying than the feeling we get from cycling. As noted, aerobic exercise also triggers the release of endorphins within our body, allowing for improved mood both during and after cycling.
- Outdoor benefits – if your cycling route is in a nice outdoor setting, then you can reap the benefits of immersing yourself outdoors within nature, which can improve mood, decrease stress amongst a number of other physical and mental health benefits.
Other cycling benefits
I see cycling really is good for us physically and mentally. Are there any other benefits?
Well, have you ever thought about how saving money and time, being social or exploring can be made easier through cycling? Read below to see how.
- Commuting – travelling to your place of work/ study etc. by bicycle can be cheaper, with a more reliable journey time than travelling by car. To see how you can benefit from this, we suggest you plan your route, get all your required gear in order and ensure your bike is in good working condition. Make sure you have a good lock and a safe place to store your bike for both ends of the journey. Once you know your route well, enjoy the satisfaction of being able to save money on your commute, and also engaging in physical activity while doing so!
- Socially – getting out for a cycle on a weekday or weekend with your family, friends or a group/ club can be a great social engagement. Cycling clubs can cater for more physical requirements, whereas a simple cycle through your local park or along the coastline can be a great way to unwind with your family or friends.
- Travel – bicycle touring can be a great way to see your own country. Planning a route, having all your gear ready with the open road in front of you can be hugely exciting in terms of travelling by bicycle.
- Environmental benefits – cycling is a self-powered form of active travel, and has a much lower carbon footprint than other forms of transport such as driving a car.
Back to top